ABOUT ST. JOHNS’ AND HOW TO APPLY
St Johns’ House is a unique home for later living, offering residents the opportunity to live a life as independently as possible, but without the worry of paying bills, maintaining a home and garden, managing laundry or preparing meals. Residents are free to come and go from the House as if they were at home; they can go away on holiday, go out for meals, and family and friends are free to visit at any time.
St Johns’ House is a registered charity and residents pay a Monthly Maintenance Contribution. The cost of all meals, housekeeping and laundry are included in this contribution. Meals are served at set times in the Dining Room where all residents eat together. There is no room service unless a resident is unwell. Kettles are permitted in the rooms.
All rooms are unfurnished (except for some built-in wardrobes/cupboards), and vary in size, so there are guidelines for the amount of furniture allowed. There is a telephone point in each room and residents are responsible for organising their own private telephone number and service. Local newspaper shops deliver daily and nearby pharmacies also deliver medications.
INDEPENDENCE & MOBILITY
It is important to remember that St Johns’ House promotes independent living and we are not registered to offer care or nursing facilities. However, it is permitted for private carers to be employed by a resident (should some help with personal care or medication be required). This is arranged and funded by the resident.
We have a large communal sitting room, a smaller sitting room and three accessible courtyard gardens available for use by the residents, family and friends. Please note, although we have a stairlift on the main staircase, there are still stairs to be negotiated around the house. Good mobility enables residents to take part in the full life of the House and to get the most out of living with us.
Unfortunately, being situated in the town in front of the Abbey there is no parking available for residents or visitors, although there are many public car parks within a short walking distance and on-road parking adjacent for Blue Badge Permit Holders.
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
We try to keep processes to minimum but there are certain steps required before a new resident joins us:
- A prospective resident views the room(s) available
- An application form is completed
- The prospective resident stays in our Guest Room for 2 nights
This is very important, as it allows the prospective resident to familiarise themselves with the routine of the House and assess whether living with, and sharing meals with, other people will suit them.
- The prospective resident (and family member or friend) meets with the House Warden to discuss the stay
- A room is offered if available – subject to suitable medical report from GP and references being obtained
- Letter of Appointment is prepared and signed by the prospective resident
- A moving in date is agreed. (all moving arrangements to be made and paid for by the incoming resident)
- A Standing Order to pay the Monthly Maintenance Contribution is set up (payable monthly in advance)
- Our new resident moves in and starts living life to the full!
WHAT TO DO NEXT
Please contact us to register your interest in living at St Johns’ and enjoying independence in later life.
The Steward and House Wardens are available on 01935 813245 to make an appointment to view the House and vacant rooms, or arrange an application form.